Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Shanika

We got to see Elise's friend today. Shanika works at McDonald's. We went there to get ice cream. Shanika lit up when she saw Elise. "I haven't seen you in a long time, girl!" Elise was happy to see her too. I felt bad that I had no idea at first who this person was. Later I convinced myself that I remembered her. Elise placed her order and she and Georgie and I sat at a nearby table and ate our ice cream cones. It takes them a really long time for my girls to get through a soft serve. It's a sacred ritual. Each step is taken very seriously. Carefully licking the cone to reduce in a somewhat uniform way, getting down to the cone, removing the paper wrapping and ensuring there is no residual paper or glue, biting around the cone, liking out the remaining ice cream and finally polishing off the bottom of the cone. Elise cares very little about the mess on her face or clothes. Georgie doesn't spill a drop, unless we are outside in the heat. Shanika came by a couple of times and said 'hi', and said she had to restrain herself from giving the girls a big squeeze.
On the way home Georgie was pondering something in the back seat then came to the conclusion that, "if vanilla was brown, then chocolate was white!" Hard to argue this logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment