Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Blue Rodeo in Atlanta

Smith's Olde Bar, Atlanta, June 8th, 2010. Canada's Blue Rodeo plays as part of their little tour through the US. Sadly, I had to go alone, as Gudrun came down with the flu. I decided to hit Cowtipper's next door for a steakburger. I regret this now but it might be unfair to blame my stomach upset on their food.
Smith's is a great little venue. When I walked in, I couldn't believe I was going to see the band in such an intimate setting. they don't play stadiums or anything in Canada but nothing nearly this small, at least not where I have seen them. I got there late, but in time to check out the t-shirts. I met a mother and daughter there to see them for the first time. You Tube fans it seems, never seen them live. What a great place for your first Blue Rodeo concert! And I was sure only displaced Canadians like me would be there. At least one blog world friend is tuned into the event. I love the fact they have a fan base down here. I mean, they kinda are americana, as funny as that is for a band from Toronto. I know a lot of bands I hear on the radio here have the same kind of sound.
The back up band 'Cliff the Duke' was great. All young guys playing rootsy rock. The lead singer looked a little like Rivers Cuomo (?) from Weezer, but a little rougher (by design?) around the edges.
With anticipation I watched the crew set up for the BR show. I saw them tape the set list to the floor and my neighbours were stealing peeks at it. I didn't want to know so tried not to listen. A very disheveled Basil Donovan gentled pushed by me and went into the back to get ready for the show. A few minutes later the band appeared. They looked great, happy. They opened with 'Cynthia' and played many songs not normally on the rotation up in Canada. Some old favs like, "Stop Stealing the Indian Lands" and "Heart Like Mine" (first song from their first album) and a lot from Five Days in July ("Head over Heels" "Five Days in May"). Also, "Moon and Tree" and three or four from the new album ("Candice", "Don't let the darkness in your head", and I think "Never Look Back". I love hearing their new songs. They had Anne Lindsay with them playing violin and she did a fantastic solo to replace the guitar one in "Five Days in May". Greg Keelor came to the front of the stage and strummed a solo acoustic "Hasn't Hit Me Yet" while the crowd sang the first verse and chorus. Then the band kicked in and it really took off. I've seen this before up north and it was very cool to see it work here, the whole bar singing along. There were one or two Canadians in there I think. The place was full of people who love the band which made for a great vibe. Not that it isn't that way in Canada but I got the sense that the people here, like me, were really psyched to see them.
They played so well and it was so good to see them again. I loved being so close yet not crushed. As sad as it was that Gudrun couldn't be there, she would have been annoyed by all the other woman (did I say cougars?) competing for Jim Cuddy's attention.
They are a fantastic band. They joked about the barbeque they had earlier. Fat Mac's. I checked out the website, it looks good. I will have to give it a try before I leave.
Next stop for them is St. Louis. Looks like they are making their way all the way to the west coast. That is one long bus ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment